Jan 10, 2012

Cynical

"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth." 
Lillian Hellman

What do you think about that?




Ambrose Bierce saw it a little differently, describing cynics as
"blackguard[s] whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be."

I like that.

But yeah, sometimes I get caught letting the craziness of the past and the present cast a large and frightening shadow over the future.

Oops.

Then I get a breath of fresh air: a reminder that life is good.
We aren't here on earth to fail.

Bad things happen. Dang.
But that isn't all of life.
With the proper perspective, we can realize that the bad stuff is not even the biggest part of life.

Still,

"They say bad things happen for a reason.
But no wise words gonna stop the bleeding."
I think The Script put that quite excellently.

When you are facing your own struggles, your own failures, your own future
...hearing that life is good isn't going to take away the pain.

What will?

For me, relief often comes in moments when I realize that people can change.
That I can change.
That I should not expect failure.
     (That gets you into a whole mess of wrong-thinking and wrong-living.)

How things are now doesn't have to dictate how they will be.
Hope, eh?

We don't have to block out reality.
But we should notice the pleasant, lovely, funny, amazing parts about what is around us.
And we should realize that many more pleasant, lovely, funny, amazing things are still yet to be if we decide to see them. To work towards them.

Just some thoughts.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment