Dec 5, 2012

Circle of Life

(Apologies...it's a double-post day...I couldn't resist)

I feel so full of thoughts right now.

Some words highlighting (and contrasting) my thoughts right now:

"Turning, turning, turning through the years,
Minutes into hours and the hours into years.
Nothing changes, nothing ever can.
Round and round the roundabout and back where you began!"
                                   ~Turning--Les Miserables

I feel like this occasionally. Some things change, but I'm still ME. Just like I was last year, and ten years ago. Still struggling with the same faults. Still dreaming the same dreams. Realizing more and more how my problems and triumphs are the same ones that have been experienced for millennia by mankind.

But!

I have improved personally; some faults sneak back less frequently.
I have achieved some dreams, I'm working on others, and I'm dreaming up new plans.

This is the concept of entropy. If you leave things be, they will deteriorate back to their simplest/original form. Things will be the same as they were.
If you intentionally change something, it is more/different than it was (unless you stop changing it--then entropy kicks in again).

If you have a good habit that you enjoy/is helping you be a better person, that is awesome! But it won't last forever. You'll stop it. Unless you don't.

Depressing? Heck no!!!!

The very idea that our habits may die away also demonstrates the very hopeful and amazing idea that we get to choose and control what we do!

Agency, people, it rocks.

Of course, there is much we can't control.
Life throws us some very powerful lessons to teach us that..

But control what you should. 

“If you haven’t the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you.” 
~T. S. Eliot

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment