Nov 11, 2012

Snowy Sunday

I don't like this:

"One can promise actions, but not feelings, for the latter are involuntary. He who promises to love or hate forever or be forever faithful to someone is promising something that is not in his power." 

This is in the book "Human, All Too Human" by Friedrich Nietzsche.
(I haven't read it. I just saw this quote. I hope it is out of context, because it is so downright gloomy!)

Now...to some extent I kind of agree with the quote.
Who knows what could happen to change your feelings/attitudes about something/someone?

Hopefully that is for the better.

But. I think our actions, the places in life where we put our effort and energies, play a large role in how we feel about things and people!

And, according to Nietzsche, we can be more certain in promising actions than feelings. I think they feed each other.

Maybe you can't swear undying, unchanging love for someone. Maybe you can't say you'll always feel peace in a certain setting....

But maybe you can decide to take the proper actions that precipitate such feelings.

In serving someone and doing your best to act selflessly, your regard toward them becomes more positive and loving. (Usually ;))

You can influence things/situations to better promote whatever feeling you most desire to get from them.

Just some thoughts.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment