Oct 30, 2012

Great Expectations

Very slowly (like, whenever I get spare time at work that I don't fill with homework) I am reading Charles Dickens' book Great Expectations.

It is different than I expected
        ...even though I don't know what I was expecting ha.

Here are two of my favorite parts so far:

          "That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

          "Well, Pip, be it so or be is son't, you must be a common scholar afore you can be a oncommon one, I should hope! The king upon his throne, with his crown upon his 'ed, can't sit and write his acts of Parliament in print, without having begun, when he were an unpromoted Prince, with the alphabet-Ah! And begun at A too, and worked his way to Z."

:)

1 comment:

  1. I love Great Expectations!! And those quotes are great. I especially like the first one. Hope everything is going great for you Haley, I enjoy reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete